Road Worker - Construction Job in Sarasota, FL
Location: Sarasota, FL
Job Type: Temp to Hire
Are you looking for a flexible job with diverse assignments? Does performing essential services like maintaining highways, roads, airport runways, or directing traffic sound rewarding to you?
Do you take a “hands-on” approach to your work? Are you good with using different tools and equipment to get the job done? Well, if you can stay alert, pay attention to detail, and perform quality workmanship, then we have a great opportunity for you as Road Worker!
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Flagging motorists to warn of obstacles or repair work ahead.
- Setting up signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic.
- Driving trucks or tractors with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mowing grass and weeds, and removing snow and ice.
- Dumping and spreading asphalt to repair joints and patch broken pavement.
- Driving trucks to transport crews and equipment to work sites.
- Inspecting, cleaning and repairing drainage systems, bridges, tunnels, and other structures.
- Hauling and spreading sand, gravel, and clay to fill washouts and repair road shoulders.
- Erecting, installing, or repairing guardrails, road shoulders, berms, highway markers, warning signals, and highway lighting, using hand tools and power tools.
- Removing litter and debris from roadways, including debris from rock and mud slides.
- Cleaning and clearing debris from culverts, catch basins, drop inlets, ditches, and other drain structures.
- Performing roadside landscaping work, such as clearing weeds and brush, and planting and trimming trees.
- Painting traffic control lines and placing pavement traffic messages, by hand or using machines.
- Inspecting markers to verify accurate installation.
- Measuring and marking locations for installation of markers, using tape, string, or chalk.
- Using arms, legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Following all safety guidelines and wearing safety gear (such as goggles, gloves, and helmets).
You will need to have the following:
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of highways and roads.
- The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust machine or vehicle controls exact positions.
- Near vision and ability to see details at close range (within a few feet).
- Depth perception, the ability to judge objects closer or farther away from you.
- Attention to detail, analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work carefully and efficiently in potentially dangerous conditions.
- Familiarity with safety procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to use tools and equipment safely and effectively.
- Physical strength and stamina required to stand, walk, and lift for long periods of time.
- Physical dexterity to work with tools, machines, and equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
What you may gain while on the job:
- Staying active — the job will keep you busy throughout the day.
- Technical expertise — learning to operate and master complex tools, machinery and equipment systems.
- Enhanced communication skills — learning how to talk clearly and effective with co-workers and superiors.
- Problem solving and crisis management skills — avoiding and resolving potential dangerous situations.
- Teamwork — partnering with colleagues and supervisors to ensure production & quality goals are met.
- Teaching & management skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Rewarding career — opportunities for training, advancement to supervisory or management roles. Those with prior experience increase chances of getting promoted or earning higher pay.