Painter - Construction Job in Sarasota, FL
Location: Sarasota, FL
Job Type: Temp to Hire
Do you like painting buildings, houses, or other big objects, applying different colors, tones and shades to improve appearances, making old objects look new, or giving something a new identity? If you take pride in your work, you’re willing to learn, and looking to get on the job training as you deepen your skill set, then we have a great opportunity for you as a Painter!
The job responsibilities may include:
- Applying paints, stains, and coatings to interior and exterior walls, new buildings, and other structural surfaces.
- Reading blueprints/instructions and examining surfaces to determine the kind and amount of work necessary.
- Making on-site preparations such as building scaffolding, covering fixtures etc.
- Preparing walls and other surfaces for painting by scraping, using sandpaper, removing old paint etc.
- Filling cracks and holes with appropriate material (e.g. plaster).
- Mixing paint and other materials to prepare the right color or texture.
- Painting surfaces according to instructions with various tools.
- Applying varnish and other finishes.
- Carrying or lifting heavy objects as well as squatting, kneeling, bending, crawling, and working awkward positions.
- Calculating costs and negotiating prices.
- Following all health and safety precautions and wearing, protective eyewear, clothing or self-contained suits to avoid toxic fumes.
- Standing for long periods of time, often with hands raised above head.
- Moving or lift heavy supplies and equipment.
- Working extended hours and/or weekends.
In addition to a physical strength, stamina, color vision and eye-hand coordination, an ideal Painter will have:
- Proven experience as a painter strongly preferred.
- Good knowledge of painting material preferred, and how to choose, mix and apply them.
- Solid knowledge of commercial and/or construction painting techniques.
- Ability to choose the proper tool for each job, such as the correct roller, power sprayer, or brush.
- Aptitude in using appropriate tools (brushes, caulking guns, rollers and spray guns etc.).
- Good basic math skills.
- Manual dexterity with excellent balance to work on scaffolding, ladders etc.
- Customer service skills to listen and satisfy the client.
- Thorough with great attention to detail.
- Ability to follow instructions, demonstrate initiative, and work independently.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or successful completion of an apprenticeship.
What you may gain while on the job:
- Communication skills — providing information to supervisors, co-workers, or customers by phone, writing, or in person.
- Building relationships — providing service to customers and working in a non-competitive environment.
- Independence — work independently and make your own decisions to meet your responsibilities.
- Teaching & mentoring skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Learning opportunity — a chance to pick up a wide variety of useful trade-related skills.
- Rewarding career — steady work, opportunities for advancement into supervisory or management roles or self-employment.