Maintenance Worker - Portsmouth, VA
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Job Type: Temp
Job Ref Code: 20-12-1558
Are you a handy person who’s good at solving problems? Do you like fixing of things, keeping them in order, and making sure the job is done right? If you’re a strong worker who takes pride in their job and enjoys helping people in need, then we have a great opportunity for you as a Maintenance Worker!
The job responsibilities may include:
- Maintaining and repairing machines, mechanical equipment, and buildings.
- Fixing or replacing faulty electrical switches, outlets, and circuit breakers.
- Inspecting and diagnosing problems and figuring out the best way to correct them.
- Performing routine preventive maintenance to ensure that machines continue to run smoothly.
- Assembling and setting up machinery or equipment.
- Planning repair work using blueprints or diagrams.
- Doing general cleaning and upkeep of buildings, gardens/yards and properties.
- Meeting with clients to estimate repairs and costs.
- Keeping detailed records of work performed.
- Performing cleaning activities such as dusting, mopping, collecting trash etc.
- Handling minor fixes such as repairing broken locks, filling gaps on walls, replacing light bulbs, etc.
- Installing appliances and equipment.
- Inspecting, troubleshooting & checking functionality of equipment and systems (e.g. ventilation, fire alarm).
- Reporting to a facilities or maintenance manager for issues.
- Cleaning spills and other hazards with appropriate equipment.
- Moving or lift heavy supplies and equipment.
- Working in shifts, possibly evening hours and/or weekends.
In addition to a physical strength, depth perception and eye-hand coordination, an ideal Maintenance Worker will have:
- Proven experience as assistant director or other similar position
- Basic knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems
- Experience using hand and electrical tools.
- Ability to read technical manuals and drawings.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Physical stamina and dexterity.
- Ability to work in variable conditions, with as noise, odors, dust or temperature, with frequent interruptions.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Good judgment and problem solving skills.
- Ability to follow instructions, demonstrate initiative, and work independently.
- A High School diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of an apprenticeship is a bonus.
- An understanding of general building operations.
- Direct or related work experience — Plumbing, electrical and other trade skills are extremely useful.
What you may gain while on the job:
- Communication skills — providing information to supervisors and co-workers by phone, in writing or in person.
- Building Relationships — providing service to customers and working in a non-competitive environment.
- Independence — Work independently and make your own decisions to meet your responsibilities.
- Teaching & mentoring skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Staying active — Keep yourself actively busy and moving throughout the day.
- Rewarding career — opportunities for advancement to move into craft-worker positions, supervisory, or management roles.