Heavy Equipment Operator - Greensboro, NC
Location: Greensboro, NC
Job Type: Temp
Job Ref Code: 37-78-6878
Do cranes, bulldozers, and backhoes get you excited? Do you like the sound of building bridges and roads, or moving massive amounts of dirt, rock and other random objects? Can you see yourself operating advanced machinery with precision and safety? Well if this is you, then we have an excellent opportunity for you as a Heavy Equipment Operator!
The job responsibilities may include the following:
- Operating bulldozers, cranes, excavators, forklifts and other machinery to transport earth or materials, erecting and installing construction materials, laying roadbeds or paving materials, moving, loading or unloading items and more.
- Cleaning, maintaining, and making basic repairs and reporting malfunctions to supervisors as necessary.
- Moving levers, pushing pedals, or turning valves to maneuver equipment, while ensuring safety standards.
- Coordinate machine actions with crew members using hand or audio signals
- Completing apprenticeship and on-the-job training; working with a mentor to learn job and safety principles.
- Ensuring machinery, equipment, and components receive proper maintenance, which may include cleaning, refueling, recharging batteries, or replacing liquefied-gas tanks.
- Obtain required licensing or certification to operate certain equipment.
- Carrying or lifting heavy objects as well as squatting, kneeling, bending, or crawling in awkward positions.
- Working outdoors in all weather conditions, full-time or seasonally, extended hours and night shifts.
You will also need to:
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have 1 to 3 years of industry experience.
- Complete heavy equipment apprenticeship as well as on-going training and evaluations.
- Be continually attentive and mindful of your surroundings to keep yourself and co-workers safe.
- Have hand-eye-foot coordination, depth perception, near and far vision acuity, good reaction time and physical stamina, and develop proficiency in the safe operation of equipment.
- Be familiar with global positioning systems (GPS).
- Be at least 18 years old and hold a commercial driver's license (CDL).
- Pass Department of Transportation (DOT) medical requirements and have no substance abuse problems.
What you may gain while on the job:
- Staying active — This job will keep you on the move throughout the day.
- Communication skills — Providing information and coordinating with supervisors, co-workers, and external partners to carry out job logistics and ensure safety.
- Learning opportunity — a chance to learn specialized skills, training, and professional certifications.
- Teaching & mentoring skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Rewarding career — opportunities for advancement to supervisory or management roles.
Less than 1 Year