Diesel Mechanic - Jacksonville, FL
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Job Type: Temp to Hire
Job Ref Code: 25-16-8437
Are you an ace mechanic able to inspect, repair, or overhaul buses and trucks as well as maintain and repair any type of diesel engine?
We’re looking for Diesel Mechanics who can do all this and more. If you’re familiar with the work, can handle it with care, and take pride in your work, then this is the role for you!
Diesel Mechanic responsibilities may include the following:
- Consulting with customers and reading orders to determine work required.
- Planning work procedures using technical charts and manuals.
- Inspecting brake systems, steering mechanisms, transmissions, engines, and other parts of vehicles.
- Following checklists to ensure that all critical parts are examined.
- Reading & interpreting diagnostic test results to identify mechanical problems.
- Repairing or replacing malfunctioning components, parts, and other mechanical or electrical equipment.
- Performing basic care and maintenance, including changing oil, checking fluid levels, and rotating tires.
- Test-driving vehicles to ensure that they run smoothly.
- Keeping logs of work and report on issues
- Lifting heavy parts, tools and materials on a regular basis.
You will need to have the following:
- Proven experience as a Diesel Mechanic is preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of machinery as well as hydraulic, electrical, and other systems and their components.
- Aptitude in using various hand tools (screwdrivers, hammers etc.) and precision measurement tools (e.g. calipers).
- Ability to follow established procedures and practices and to read instructions, blueprints etc.
- A strong commitment to all health and safety guidelines.
- Attention to detail and solid organization skills.
- Very good communication skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Good problem solving ability.
- Steady hands and good hand-eye coordination.
- Good physical strength and stamina.
- High school diploma preferred; Certification from a vocational school or apprenticeship is a definite plus.
- Valid certification (e.g. ASE) is preferred.
What you may gain while on the job:
- Staying active — the job will keep you busy and moving throughout the day.
- Technical Expertise — learning to master diesel engines and other complex processes tools and machinery.
- Enhanced communication skills — learning how to talk to diverse sets of customers, co-workers, and superiors.
- Problem solving and crisis management skills — avoiding and resolving potential negative customer experiences.
- Teamwork — partnering with co-workers and supervisors to ensure customers are satisfied.
- Teaching & Management skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Rewarding career — opportunities for training, advancement to supervisory or management roles, and self-employment. Those with prior experience increase chances of getting promoted or earning higher pay.