Concrete Worker - Construction Job in Alexandria, VA
Location: Alexandria, VA
Job Type: Temp
Job Ref Code: 20-1-8839
Looking for on-the-job training to advance your career while getting paid? Are you skilled with diverse physical tasks? Do you work efficiently and pay attention to detail?
We’re looking for concrete workers who are responsible for smoothing out, leveling and finishing freshly poured concrete at construction sites. If you’re familiar with this work and can handle it with skill and care to produce quality workmanship, then is role has your name on it.
Concrete Worker responsibilities may include the following:
- Smoothing out concrete in segments to ensure the concrete poured is level.
- Filling roadways, driveways, sidewalks, bridges, homes, and parking lots.
- Arranging the concrete forms and spreading concrete.
- Leveling it using special blades, making sure all lumps and bubbles are smoothed over.
- Using wood or plastic forms to shape the concrete and hold it until it is set.
- Smoothing high spots and fill depressions, washing away excess concrete.
- Making concrete beams, columns, and panels.
- Finishing corners by hand.
- Applying latex and epoxy to floors.
- Using machines that vibrate concrete to fill air pockets.
- Using groovers and hand trowels to spread concrete.
- Monitoring how the wind, heat, or cold affects the curing of the concrete and halting concrete pouring if weather looks bad.
- Installing masonry according to specifications.
- Using chemical additives to speed up drying process, if necessary, or pouring sand in as filler.
- Standing, kneeling, and bending for long periods of time.
You will need to have the following:
- Proven experience as cement mason or concrete worker.
- Knowledge of the characteristics of concrete to determine what is happening to the concrete and take measures to prevent defects.
- Apprenticeship experience and knowledge of construction basics like: blueprint reading; mathematics, measurement, volume, and mixing proportions; building code requirements; and safety and first-aid practices.
- Hand-eye coordination, physical stamina and strength, color vision and visualization are important qualities.
- Proficiency with electrical and manual equipment as well as measurement tools (power saws, hammers, rulers etc.).
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times.
- English language skills.
- Ability to stand and walk, lift and/or move materials between 50 to over 100 lbs.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Successful completion of an apprenticeship program is preferred.
What you may gain while on the job:
- Staying active — the job will keep you busy and moving throughout the day.
- Technical Expertise — learning to operate and master complex processes tools and machinery.
- Enhanced communication skills — learning how to talk to diverse sets of customers, co-workers and superiors.
- Problem solving and crisis management skills — avoiding and resolving potential negative customer experiences.
- Teamwork — partnering with co-workers and supervisors to ensure customers are satisfied.
- Teaching & Management skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Rewarding career — opportunities for training, advancement to supervisory or management roles, and self-employment. Those with prior experience increase chances of getting promoted or earning higher pay.
Less than 1 Year