Certified Flagger - Construction Job in Alexandria, VA
Location: Alexandria, VA
Job Type: Temp
Job Ref Code: 20-1-10309
Are you experienced in Traffic Control, with certified training? Can you follow safety rules, maintain roads according to regulations and act in the interest of public safety? Can you stay alert, pay attention to detail and perform quality workmanship? If performing essential services related to directing traffic sounds rewarding to you, and you’re looking for a flexible job with diverse assignments, then a position as a Certified Flagger could be just right for you.
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Flagging motorists to warn of obstacles or repair work ahead.
- Setting up signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic.
- Driving trucks or tractors with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mowing grass and weeds, and removing snow and ice.
- Dumping and spreading asphalt to repair joints and patch broken pavement.
- Driving trucks to transport crews and equipment to work sites.
- Inspecting, cleaning and repairing drainage systems, bridges, tunnels, and other structures.
- Hauling and spreading sand, gravel, and clay to fill washouts and repair road shoulders.
- Erecting, installing, or repairing guardrails, road shoulders, berms, highway markers, warning signals, and highway lighting, using hand tools and power tools.
- Removing litter and debris from roadways, including debris from rock and mud slides.
- Cleaning and clearing debris from culverts, catch basins, drop inlets, ditches, and other drain structures.
- Performing roadside landscaping work, such as clearing weeds and brush, and planting and trimming trees.
- Painting traffic control lines and placing pavement traffic messages, by hand or using machines.
- Inspecting markers to verify accurate installation.
- Measuring and marking locations for installation of markers, using tape, string, or chalk.
- Moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Following all safety guidelines and wearing safety gear (like goggles, gloves, and helmets).
You will need to have the following:
- Knowledge and training in traffic control techniques — flagger training and certification.
- Understanding of all safety procedures, guidelines, and government laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in the construction or repair of highways and roads.
- The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust machines or vehicle controls to exact positions.
- Near Vision and ability to see details at close range (within a few feet).
- Depth Perception, the ability to judge objects closer or farther away from you.
- Attention to detail, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work carefully and efficiently in potentially dangerous conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to use tools and equipment safely and effectively.
- Physical strength and stamina required to stand, walk, and lift for long periods of time.
- Physical dexterity to work with tools, machines and equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
What you may gain while on the job:
- Staying active — the job will keep you busy throughout the day.
- Technical Expertise — learning to operate and master complex tools, machinery and equipment systems.
- Enhanced communication skills — learning how to talk clearly and effective with co-workers and superiors.
- Problem solving and crisis management skills — avoiding and resolving potential dangerous situations.
- Teamwork — partnering with colleagues and supervisors to ensure production & quality goals are met.
- Teaching & Management skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Rewarding career — opportunities for training, advancement to supervisory or management roles. Those with prior experience increase chances of getting promoted or earning higher pay.
Less than 1 Year