Carpenter Helper - Orlando, FL
Location: Orlando, FL
Job Type: Temp
Job Ref Code: 25-77-11077
Are you an ace with a tape measure and power tools? Do you like cutting and shaping all kinds of materials and know your way around a worksite? Are you interested in learning skills and training from experts, while getting paid at the same time? Well if this appeals to you, then we have a great opportunity for you as a Carpenter Helper.
Carpenter Helper and related jobs may require the following:
- Assisting carpenters on job sites with various tasks and gathering materials.
- Cleaning job sites and servicing machines and equipment.
- Cutting, fitting and installing insulation, tile or linoleum.
- Spreading adhesives on flooring to prep for tile.
- Building scaffolding, shoring, and braces.
- Cutting or drilling holes in timber and lumber to specified dimensions.
- Holding timbers, lumber, and paneling in place for fastening or cutting.
- Assisting in the layout of foundation, building lines, and anchor bolts.
- Setting hollow metal doors, frames and framing wood.
- Installing trim, cabinets and toilets.
- Loading and unloading materials from trucks.
- Smoothing and sanding surfaces using power sanders.
- Measuring, cutting, and shaping wood, plastic, and other materials.
- Loading job materials into installation trucks and securing loads.
- Protecting flooring, cabinet and customer appliances (laying down drop cloths, etc.).
- Carefully assessing, cleaning, and inspecting work area for possible damage before leaving job site.
- Adhering to all safety procedures and practices including drug-free workplace policy.
- Obtaining required technical knowledge to use various tools, or computerized machines.
- Completing on-the-job training programs; working with a mentor and learning basic job and safety principles.
- Carrying or lifting heavy objects and to squat, kneel down, bend, or crawl in awkward positions.
You will need to have the following:
- Physical strength, hand-eye coordination, endurance, depth perception, and ability to concentrate and to do the work.
- Strong oral and written communication skills (English), and ability to listen carefully to and follow instructions.
- Good math skills and accuracy in reading/understanding measurements.
- A positive attitude with strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work in fast paced environments.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Good dexterity and attention to detail.
- Good organizational and time management skills to ensure timely and thorough job completion.
- Previous carpentry experience is a strong advantage, but no experience required.
- Experience in construction is a bonus.
- Dependable transportation, a valid driver's license, and no physical limitations to perform the tasks required.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum age of 18.
- U.S. citizen or proof of legal residency.
What you may gain while on the job:
- Staying active — This job will keep you busy and constantly moving throughout the day.
- Communication skills — provide information and coordinating with supervisors, co-workers, and external partners to carry out job logistics and daily responsibilities.
- Learning opportunity — gaining in-depth industry knowledge and a variety of carpentry and construction skills.
- Teaching & mentoring skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Rewarding career — steady work and opportunities for advancement to supervisory, independent contractor, or general construction supervisors.