Baker - Hospitality Job in North Charleston, SC
|Location:||North Charleston, SC 29405|
|Job Ref Code:||16-4-9179|
Do you love to bake and enjoy delighting people with your breads, pastries, cakes, pies, and other recipes? If you have a passion for baking and want to make a living in the kitchen, then a job as a baker could be a great opportunity for you!
Jobs as a baker may require the following:
- Mixing and baking ingredients according to recipes to make breads, pastries, and other baked goods.
- Using high-volume mixing machines, ovens, and other equipment.
- Checking the quality of baking ingredients and preparing equipment for baking.
- Measuring and weighing flour and other ingredients.
- Combining measured ingredients in bowls of mixing, blending, or cooking machinery.
- Kneading, rolling, cutting, and shaping dough, and placing dough into pans, imolds, or onto baking sheets.
- Setting oven temperatures and placing items into ovens or onto grills.
- Observing the color and state of products being baked.
- Applying glazes, icings, or other toppings.
- Carefully following instructions for production schedules and recipes.
- Cleaning work areas, equipment, and unloading supplies.
- Budgeting for and ordering supplies, setting prices, and deciding how much to produce each day.
- Standing, bending, climbing stairs, and carrying items weighing 25-50 pounds.
- Possibly working extended hours, early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Strong communication skills and ability to listen carefully to co-workers and customers (English required).
- A positive attitude with the ability to follow instructions.
- Good physical stamina with the ability to stand for long periods of time, and carry heavy trays or equipment.
- Attention to detail and the ability to closely monitor products in ovens to keep from burning.
- Ability to follow intricate recipe and decorations instructions.
- Basic math skills and knowledge of fractions to precisely weigh ingredients mix and adjust recipes.
- Good organizational skills.
- Knowledge of food safety practices ability to work while using/wearing proper safety gear.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Some experience and familiarity in a kitchen setting is required, but most skills can be learned on the job (completion of apprenticeship program or technical or culinary school is a big bonus).
- At least 16 years of age.
You will need to have the following:
What you may gain while on the job:
- Staying active — the job will keep you engaged throughout the day.
- Enhanced communication skills — learning how to communicate detailed information with co-workers.
- Teamwork — partnering with co-workers and supervisors to accomplish goals.
- Learning opportunity — a chance to learn a wide variety of skills, detailed expertise and diverse knowledge of recipes and baking methods.
- Teaching & Management skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Rewarding career — opportunities for professional development and training, advancement to supervisory or management roles, and those with prior experience increase their chances of landing a job, getting promoted, and possibly earning higher pay.