Are you skilled with your hands and small tools? Do you like working with wood? Do you like the sound of building, installing, maintaining, and repairing foundations, exterior doors, windows, floors, walls, and roofs? If all this sounds good to you, then a career as a Framer could be the right opportunity for you!
Framer responsibilities may include the following:
You will need to have the following:
- Selecting, measuring and marking materials for exterior doors, windows, foundations, floors, walls and roofs.
- Cutting and shaping materials and joining them with nails, screws, bolts, or glue.
- Developing work plans.
- Reading and interpreting blueprints.
- Working mostly outdoors with varied hours based on the demands of the project.
- Working with power tools, lifting heavy materials, and kneeling or crouching for long periods of time.
- Receiving training to work safely and wear special equipment to avoid injury.
- Understanding of carpentry techniques as well as methods of installation and construction.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects such as framing lumber, sheets of plywood and other building materials.
- Ability to understand math functions and calculations involving fractions.
- Must know how to read and interpret blueprints.
- Knowledge of building codes, on-the-job safety, and basic first aid.
- Dexterity and excellent hand–eye coordination.
- Physical stamina to be able to perform tasks repeatedly.
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- English language skills.
- Previous carpentry experience or completion of an apprenticeship program is very helpful.